Assistant Head Start Teacher
SUMMARY: Responsible for assisting the teacher in the development of an age-appropriate educational environment for preschool children. To act as an Ambassador to the Agency and to reflect all Agency matters in a positive way.
REPORTS TO: Regional Manager/Site Supervisor
FLSA STATUS: Full Time, Non-Exempt
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Must supervise and monitor children at all times by following Active Supervision procedures, policies, and strategies to ensure no child is ever left unsupervised.
- Follow direction and support from the teacher regarding classroom expectations and adult-child interactions.
- Assist the teacher to ensure the quality and safety of the educational environment.
- Participate in the developmental screening process when appropriate.
- Work with and encourage parents and community volunteers.
- Assist teacher in assessment by recording specific examples of developmental progress for individual children.
- Use positive child guidance techniques and build nurturing relationships through caregiving routines.
- Use developmentally appropriate practices to facilitate activities with groups and individuals.
- Follow a consistent schedule which includes small and large group experiences, choice time, music and movement, large and small motor activities, skill development and effective transitions between activities.
- Encourage experimentation, exploration, problem solving, cooperation, socialization, and choice making; ask open-ended questions and listen respectfully to the answers.
- Promote family literacy.
- Be a positive role model to children and volunteers.
- Prepare materials for classroom activities.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings.
- Promote and support parent involvement and leadership throughout the program.
- Responsible for active supervision of all children during Head Start/EHS/CCP activities.
Record keeping, planning and documentation:
- Assist teacher in maintaining appropriate documentation of each child’s developmental level and progress.
- Keep and submit records and reports as required.
- Participate in educational planning for children.
- Participate in center monitoring for safety and compliance.
- Participate in child/family staffing when applicable.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES WHEN ASSIGNED TO SUPPORT THE DRIVING STAFF
- Monitor safety on the bus.
- Assist children boarding/leaving the bus.
- Ensures children are secured in child restraints and all adult passengers use appropriate seat belts.
- Visually observe the health of each child on the bus. Report any concerns to the teacher and parent/guardian.
- Occupy the children during the ride with developmentally appropriate songs, games, observations, etc.
- Collaborate with the driver to ensure that each child is delivered to the care of a responsible adult (authorized list on Transportation Permission Fact Sheet) upon leaving the bus.
- Ensure that no child is ever left unattended while on the bus, following all Active Supervision, child attendance, and bus alarm deactivation procedures as written in the Transportation workplan to prevent a child being left behind.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES WHEN ASSIGNED TO SUPPORT THE KITCHEN STAFF
- Preparation and delivery of meals/snacks that meet USDA Food Program requirements for pre-school children and all Head Start program requirements and policies.
- Ensure meals are prepared and served on schedule.
- Use food production and food storage procedures that meet USDA and CACFP requirements.
- Follow standards of sanitation according to State and Head Start regulations and policies.
- Safely operate basic food service equipment provided by Head Start.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Minimum Child Development Associate Degree (CDA). An AA in Early Childhood Education is preferred. Demonstrates knowledge and skills in early human development and appropriate programming.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: None
THIS ORGANIZATION RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REVISE OR CHANGE THE JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES AS THE NEED ARISES. THIS JOB DESCRIPTION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE A WRITTEN OR IMPLIED CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT. THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST OF ALL DUTIES, RESPONSIBILITIES, AND QUALIFICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION.
STARTING WAGE: $15.84 – 19.01/hour, based on experience.
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Monday to Friday
Positions serving the following areas:
To be considered for an interview, applicants must submit:
- ICAA application
- Resume with cover letter
- Letters of Recommendation
- Proof of degree/licenses (if applicable)
Apply by sending the above documentation to:
ICAA, Attn: Recruiter
1000 College Ave. W
Ladysmith, WI 54848
For more information, please call 715-532-4222 and ask for HR.
ICAA is an equal opportunity employer and provider operating under an approved Affirmative Action Plan. As an equal opportunity employer, we encourage women, minorities, and persons with disabilities to apply.